WHISPERING PRAIRIE PRESS
• 2011 POETRY, FLASH FICTION, AND ESSAY WRITING AWARDS •
POSTMARK DEADLINE | June 30, 2011
Polish your favorite poems, short fiction, and essays for the Whispering Prairie Press 2011 Poetry, Flash Fiction, and Essay Writing Awards!
PRIZES IN EACH CATEGORY
1st place $100, 2nd place $50, 3rd place $25, plus one honorable mention for every 10 entries.
Open to all writers age 18 and up, except members of the Board of Directors of Whispering Prairie Press and the editorial board of Kansas City Voices. All work must be the author’s original work.
Any style, any subject. Limit: 36 lines
A complete fictional short story with a beginning, middle and end. 1,000 words or less
NON-FICTION PERSONAL ESSAY
1,000 words or less
• All entries must be unpublished at the time of submission.
• No limit on number of entries.
• Submit hard copy with no name on manuscript.
• Put word count for fiction or line count for poetry in the top right corner. Include a cover sheet with name, address, e-mail, telephone number with area code, category, and title of entry.
• If author is a full-time college student, add the name of the school
• Prose must be double-spaced in 12-point Times New Roman or Courier. Poetry may be single spaced.
• Enclose SASE for next year’s guidelines. Entries not returned.
• $5 for each entry or 3 entries for $10. (nonrefundable)
• Full-time college students: 2 entries for $5. May mix categories.
Whispering Prairie Press Writing Awards
2128 E. 144th St.
Olathe, KS 66062-2355
June 30, 2011
Winners will be announced by August 1, 2011, and winners’ names posted at www.kansascityvoices.com. Judges’ decisions are final.
Whispering Prairie Press publishes Kansas City Voices magazine, now in its 9th year.