Thank you for your interest submitting to Kansas City Voices. We are a small, volunteer operated organization based in Kansas City and we have a passion for creativity. If you would like to submit, please read our guidelines and send us your poetry, prose or art.
There is no “type” of work we are looking for, and while we would love for you to read through our previous issues, it is not an indicator of what kind of work we actively seek. Our editors rotate, our tastes evolve, and good work is just good work. We want to feel something when we encounter a piece. We want to be excited, surprised, thoughtful, and interested. We want to have a reaction. We want to share the best voices we find. Send us that one.
If your work is accepted in Kansas City Voices, you will be asked to attend and participate in our annual Preview Party. This is an event we do every year to celebrate and connect our contributors with other artists, writers, donors and friends. We want to provide as much support as we can to artists and writers, and putting a name and piece to a real person is part of this process. This private event takes place in September in Kansas City (MO) and is well attended (and a lot of fun).
Now, the details:
GENERAL SUBMISSION INFORMATION |
• We only accept submissions via our Submittable page. We no longer accept hard copy submission, and we don’t have the means to return any if received.
• All submissions are blind. Any submissions with identifying information will not be considered. Please be very careful and send us the correct document with no name, address, phone number, etc. We do not want to judge based on your identity, but your creative voice.
• Please send us work that can stand on its own. Book excerpts and individual chapters are difficult to present as self-contained pieces. However, if you are published in Kansas City Voices, we will happily add you and your book to our Community page to help promote it.
SUBMISSIONS GUIDELINES| KANSAS CITY VOICES
•Our submissions period for Kansas City Voices runs annually from December 15 through March 15. Submissions before and after these dates will not be accepted.
• Please send us poetry, prose, and art. We do not accept personal essays or non-fiction outside of our contest. We accept all kinds of art as long as it can be printed, including photos of sculptures and large-scale work.
• Submissions do not need to be about Kansas City or the Midwest.
• You do not have to live in Kansas City to be published by us. We publish voices from around the world.
• All work must be unpublished in other formats at time of submission, including blogs, e-zines, Facebook, etc.
• Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but please notify us if your work is accepted elsewhere.
• Submission to multiple categories is allowed. The maximum number of contributions we will accept from one person is 3 poems, 2 prose pieces, and 3 art pieces.
Violation of the general submission guidelines or of the specific guidelines (set out on the
Submittable form for each individual category) is an automatic disqualification.
POETRY | KANSAS CITY VOICES
• 35 line limit, not counting spaces or title.
• Include line count in the upper right hand corner.
• 12 point font, single spaced.
PROSE | KANSAS CITY VOICES
• 2,500 word limit.
• Include word count in the upper right hand corner.
• 12 point font, double spaced.
ART | KANSAS CITY VOICES
• 300 dpi or higher.
There is no cost to submit. If your work is accepted for publication you will receive a small payment and one copy of the magazine*. All payments are made in U.S. Dollars.
Whispering Prairie Press’s contract specifies first publication rights, only, for any pieces published in Kansas City Voices. Any reprints of work first published in Kansas City Voices must acknowledge the initial publication by listing Kansas City Voices and the volume number in with the piece appeared.
MAKE YOUR SUBMISSION |
Looking to submit to our contest? Click here and scroll to the bottom of our contest page.
*Due to international shipping costs, we will gladly ship to a friend or family member in the US on your behalf, or we can deduct the additional international shipping costs from your contributor payment.